What an incredible weekend! There is nothing better in this world to me then having a productive Sunday, I know, I am so cool. I was able to go to church, finish my grad work at Starbucks, grocery shop, grade some papers and prepare some meals for the week.
This recipe came from none other than my fav. cookbook at the moment…Weight Watchers Power Foods Cookbook …
Quinoa and Mushroom Pilaf
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-6 ounces shiitake mushrooms (or any kind of mushroom…I used a package of white and a package of shiitake)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced (used about 1/4 cup diced white onion)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (have I mentioned I don’t measure spices anymore?? I must be a TRUE chef:)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I use more then this because I love parsley)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, broth, salt, and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley
Yummy! The roasted cauliflower made another premiere tonight to make this meal complete. This quinoa reminds me of risotto, but a little healthier.
Remember what I said about “fresh” herbs. Just do it, kay??
2/3 cup = 4 points plus
Made some of the salsa and cottage cheese to have for lunches.
This is what happens when you go to Wegmans and you haven’t eaten since breakfast. You buy the BEST Halloween treat known to man…pumpkin candies and peanut mixture. It is an explosion (the good kind) in your mouth. Trust me, and go get it now and try it. Check out my fav. blogger Hungry Runner Girl’s post about it here! I may be going to the grocery store starving more often if good things like this happen!
I also decided to try a scone from Starbucks just to prove that Blanch over at the Serenity Tea Room really makes the best scones. It has been proven! Although Starbucks may be a close second, there was something about those tea room southern scones! Starbucks blueberry scone was a little too “crumbly” for me and it wasn’t warm like Blanch’s were. For weight watchers people…a scone has about 12 points in it…now you know why I had to skip lunch today (I don’t recommend doing this unless it’s a special occasion…and yes doing grad work at Starbucks on a Sunday constitutes as a “special occasion”).
Today I am grateful for growing up with a wonderful example of two people who are best friends, in love, cute, still get along (most of the time:) and have a blast together….
Happy 33rd Anniversary Mom and Dad!
Aren’t they the cutest? I really think that couples start to look like each other after a while…and their dogs too.
I blame them for still being single…I will not settle for anything other than the love I see between my parents:)
Did anything awesome this weekend? (Awesome can be doing nothing!)
What is your favorite cook book right now?