I LOVE beets. The other day I was at my favorite place, Wegmans…and saw Beets that were already prepared and fresh and I bought them and ate them within two days on salads and probably would’ve eaten them solo too. Other then turning your fingers a lovely shade of purpley-red they are pretty much the best thing ever.
When my mom and I were at the farmers market she insisted I buy “fresh beets” and cook them myself. I told her how good my Wegmans beets were and she wouldn’t have it…so she treated me to some ugly, dirty, beets. She should’ve known I would be calling her 500 times to ask her what the heck to do with these ugly things….
How To Make Ugly Beets Into Beautiful Beets
- Preheat oven to 425
- Scrub the beets with a sponge to get off excess dirt (some dirt is okay, I think it’s actually good for you!)
- Place in tin foil on a cookie sheet
- Drizzle with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil (as Racheal Ray calls it “EVOO”)
- Put in oven for 1 hour or more
- Place fork in the beet to see if they are soft enough
- Remove and let cool for a while
- Peel (with a knife unless you want your fingers to look like you murdered someone;)
- Slice and place in fridge or on a salad
- Enjoy your beautiful beets:)
Didn’t they undergo quite the “extreme makeover”? They should have their own reality show.
If someone had dared me to bite into this I would’ve, but no one was home.
Mine came out a little hard, but I had to go to Body Flow and couldn’t cook them any more than an hour. I might try to cook them longer next time… they peel easily!
I am very excited for lunch today (as usual).
On a “side” note…I read an article in one of my health/running magazines about making sure to eat salad with a dressing that has some fat in it that will absorb the nutrients such as Vitamins A & E from salad/veggies. I usually just have plain vinegar but I have tried Boathouse Balsamic Vinegar which I LOVE…look for it in the produce section near the expensive refrigerated dressings…I will be trying this Wish Bone Balsamic today…it has 6g of fat, 4g of carbs, and 70 calories…not too bad! Trying not to be so scared of fat in my salad dressing…as I am not really scared of it anywhere else in my diet 🙂
It is Thursday…Friday will be here in a nano-second….so will my 19 mile long run….bahhhhhhhhhhhh.